Today I sent my daughter on her own journey. A journey that will be, I'm sure, amazing. One that will have purpose. One that has a mission. As I watched her, through the tears, walk away I felt so many different emotions. I'm so proud of her. Taking this step is big. Pushing away from the shore and venturing out into the ocean is hard. This is out of her comfort zone. It's not going to be easy, but it is worth doing. I admire her obedience to answer the call to go. How many times I fail to do the little things I'm called to do. Just to see her take up the challenge brings joy to my heart. She is stepping out on faith. I know the journey will demand a lot of faith. It will be rough at times. It will be a test. But she can do it. My prayer is that her journey will bring glory to the Father and that there will be a joy in the journey for her as well.
But my heart aches.
I'll miss her.
As I cried out to the Father for comfort, He made me aware that He knows what I'm going through. And He knows it very well. He knows what it is like to send a child far away, to another world it seems. He knows what it's like to have an empty chair. He knows what it's like to long to take a walk and talk with someone. I wonder what Their last moments were like before He sent His Son on His journey. Did they hug? Did they cry? Did they tell each other "I love you"? Did the Father's heart cry with pain, yet fill with pride at the obedience of His Son? Did They share a last meal? Did they celebrate His "birthday" early like I did with my daughter? Did He watch His Son walk away with tears in His eyes? I'm not alone.
Sending a grown daughter, a young woman, away to a far away place, not knowing where she will lay her head, not knowing if she is hungry, cold, tired, stressed-- It is hard. But I know the Father knows, because unlike me He is able to be there with her. How I wish I could go too. But in a way I am. My heart and spirit goes with her.
This has been the hardest, yet proudest day I have had on my own journey.
I love you daughter! Travel safe.
Small Town
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment