Saturday, September 12, 2009

Friday nights - Where's my Mountain Dew?

I love living in Arkansas. All of the stories I heard growing up about people in this state I believed were made up. Not true! These are unique folk - especially the ones that live down dirt roads, like we do. I think they live down here because they want to get away from the city folk or something. They can pretty much act like they want to and no one questions it. That's because others act about the same way.

Let me explain. Our neighbors love Friday nights. It's time for a party. And no one is invited! But we attend anyway - we just sit on our front porch and enjoy the entertainment (an Arkansas tradition - and no, we do not have a couch on the porch). Across the road Tony has brought home the brown bags, full of drinkable entertainment. JJ is waiting. Let the wild rumpus begin! We grab our Mountain Dew and get ready.

JJ should not drink. But, I'm glad he does. He becomes a different animal each Friday night. He has been a chicken, rooster, cow, and this week, a pig! Animal noises begin to make their way across the road. Then the music begins. Songs in espanol fill the air. Laughter begins with my boys. The Mountain Dew is beginning to take effect. They also begin humming quietly, as not to disturb the show.

Later on, JJ is too drunk to enter the house. This is when Sarah locks him out. He gets a little angry about this. Tonight's quote: "Get off your high horse, woman. You're not a cowboy!" It's funny, the drunker he becomes, the better his English. I don't understand that. JJ must spend some time outside before he gets back into his casa. He usually mows the grass - the same spot - over and over and over again.

The party is winding down. No gun shots tonight. But tomorrow we will get a Mexican squash as a peace offering. I think it is to keep us quiet. The boys love Mexican squash. It makes good target practice. Paul has become quite a marksman with these useful garden vegetables.

I love Friday nights. We don't have to have a fancy satellite dish to get the latest entertainment. We just need our front porch and some Mountain Dew. It's great to live in Arkansas. I'm becoming one of them, I'm afraid.

Hey, has anyone missed their goat? There's a big black one walking down the road!

2 comments: